For the benefit of those of you who were not at the November 3 Technology SIG meeting…
- I announced that it is my hope that we will be able to figure out how to utilize the capabilities of the Blog to distribute information about the Technology SIG.
- Until we get all of the kinks works out to everybody’s satisfaction I will continue to send everything in email.
- I did demonstrate how to ‘subscribe’ to a RSS feed in Microsoft Outlook… this allows you to receive posts to the Blog as email.
- We discussed the pro’s and con’s at the meeting.
- One excellent comment was made about the desirability of being able to limit the feed of information from the blog to a specific category so you are not overwhelmed with posts on topics you do not care to receive.
- We need to figure out how to get blog postings in the form of email for all of the other email packages in use
There have been a few developments since the meeting (thanks to Carolyn Davis and Barbara Ware)
- I found a way to allow you to receive only the category or categories you want to receive.
- It was pointed out to me that the URL I had provided was not providing feeds from comments… I have a partial solution for that below as well.
To receive every post from every category (but no comments) use this URL:
To receive every comment from every category use this URL:
So to receive all posts and comments from the blog you would need to add both URL’s to your list of RSS feeds.
I loaded a tool that allows you to subscribe to posts by category (see Category Specific RSS in the lower right hand part of the Blog home page). Clicking on the category displays all of the posts. Clicking on the RSS symbol to the left displays the URL and the articles using the RSS component of your browser.
So, for example, to receive all posts made in the Technology SIG category use this URL:
To subscribe to the Macintosh OS & Genealogy feed use this URL:
Unfortunately there does not appear to be a way to get the comments made to posts for a specific category.
I will be putting together a presentation showing how all this works as soon as I get more of it figured out… Please let me know if you figure out how do so something in your environment!