Technology Special Interest Group
The purpose of the Technology SIG is to investigate technologies relevant to the pursuit of Genealogy. The goal will be to help members understand and incorporate current technology into their personal genealogy tool kit and to improve their ability to perform research and to share and/or publish the results of what they discover.
As topics are scheduled and discussed a link with information and resources will be added to the menu to the left.
Leader: Tony Hanson, DGS Webmaster
Click Here to send Email to Tony
Where: J. Erik Jonsson Central Library (Directions), Hamon room on the 5th floor
Meetings Dates (unless otherwise noted, meetings are held from 6:00 - 7:30 pm):
- Sept 4 - Backing Up Your Data - Determine what your priorities are and understand the alternatives you can choose from to protect your digital files, images and pictures.
- Oct 2 - Archiving 1: Organizing Your Files - Personal archiving is a journey, not a destination. In this, the first of four presentations on the topic, we will examine how you can (and should!) name and organize your genealogical files, how to apply metadata.
- Nov 6 - Home Networking - We will discuss the variety of wired and wireless options you now have to available to you to connect all of your computing devices to the internet in your home.
- Dec 4 - Archiving 2: Storage Methodologies - While backing up your data is an important component of your archiving strategy there are several additional steps you need to take to preserve your data for the future. We will discuss the importance of using preservation file formats and review backup strategies and then discuss the importance of keeping multiples copies in many locations and the need to utilize archival quality media.
- Jan 8 2015 - Security - We are all becoming increasingly dependent on computers, tablets smart phones and wireless technologies. In this session well discuss how you can protect yourself and your information from identity theft or malicious damage.
- Feb 5 - Understanding Your Smart Phone - Is your wireless phone smarter than you are? Remember when a cell phone could only be used to make phone calls? Things have changed a lot. This session will help you understand how the wireless cellular network has evolved to provide amazingly high speed data connections directly to your smart phone. You will walk away with a better undestanding of the technloogy which will allow you to take full advantage or your personal wireless devices and to make informed purchasing decisions.
- Mar 5 - Meeting cancelled due to weather.
- Apr 2 - De-Mystifying Digital Images - Digital images are now a vital part of a genealogist's life. We pay to access them on commercial web sites and we create our own using scanners and digital cameras. This session will help you understand some of the terminology and basic concepts surrounding digital images so you have a better understanding of how to manage your files.
- May 7 - Bring your favorite portable device and help evaluate the new DGS web site. Provide your input on the site layout, navigation and performance.