LOCATION: South of I-30, east of Walton Walker (Loop12), Dallas, Texas (Arcadia Park). Turn off service road on Town View, go through trailer park to back. Cemetery is north of trailer park behind a locked gate. The cemetery contains a Texas Historical Society Marker describing the pioneer Horton Family.
There are many field stone markers and unmarked graves. Several bases remain but inscribed portions no longer in evidence. This cemetery is very unkempt and overgrown with vines and underbrush.
GPS: 32.76040, -96.91279 (Google)
Texas Historic Commission Marker
Enoch and Martha Horton left Virginia with their ten children and settled here as members of the Peters Colony in 1844. Family history recounts that their son, James Horton, set aside this site as a family cemetery in 1848. Enoch (d. 1851) and Martha (d. 1850) are believed to be buried here in unmarked graves. James and his sister, Sarah Horton Cockrell, operated one of the first grist mills in this area, and James donated land for a school and railroad right-of-way. Many Horton family members and other early settlers are buried here. The last interment was in 1951. Incise on reverse: Gift of Screna Horton Campbell, Barney C. Jones (2001)
DGS volunteers inventoried this cemetery in March 1992. Markers from previous surveys that were no longer in evidence in 1992 are noted. Sources consulted for the integrated survey are Old Cemeteries of Dallas County by Willie Flowers Carlisle, 1948; typescript by W. R. Conger, teacher at Sunset High School and students of his Civics Class, 1961; and typescript by Barney C. Jones (Horton Family descendant), 1985, referred to as Carlisle, Conger or Jones.
The burials published by the Dallas Genealogical Society in Dallas County, Texas; Genealogical Data from Early Cemeteries, Volume V have been updated through a cross-check of death certificates and of death notices in the Dallas Morning News. Adjacent to Horton Family Cemetery is the Horton slave cemetery, more recently called the Mount Olive Cemetery. This area plus additional land was to have become the Crestview Memorial Park. That project did not come to fruition.