Warren Angus Ferris Family Cemetery
LOCATION: St. Francis Ave. and San Leandro St. There are no stones remaining. There is a Texas Historic Commission Marker. Information from Old Cemeteries of Dallas County, compiled by Willie Flowers Carlisle in 1948. The land was donated as a community cemetery in 1852 ( View on Google Maps ).
GPS: 32.4848216N 96.4239648W (Texas Historical Commission)
Texas Historic Commission Marker
New York native Warren 'Angus Ferris (1810 - 1873) spent six years as a trapper and chronicler of the American West before moving to the Republic of Texas in late 1836. As official surveyor for Nacogdoches County he surveyed the Three Forks of the Trinity area and helped set the boundaries for Dallas and other nearby counties. He wrote many articles for early Dallas newspapers. In 1847, upon the death of his son Warren Ferris, Jr., this cemetery was established on the family farm. Five Ferris children are buried in this family plot, as well as Warren Angus and his second wife, Frances Moore (d.1869). Other early Dallas County settlers interred in this cemetery are Benjamin Dye (d. 1852) and his wife Sarah (d. 1879); Wesley Chenault (d. 1886) and two of his wives, Elizabeth (d. 1858) and Lucy Sage (d. 1863). Many other members of the Sage family as well as the Atwood, Bell, Boyette, Chendull, Grace, Herndon, Kirby, Pemberton, Ryan, Tabor, and Tucker families are also buried here. One of the last interments was that of the Rev. R. T. Taylor in 1906. Due to vandalism, his gravestone was the only remaining marker by 1970. It is estimated that the cemetery contains over one hundred graves.
Also see “Pioneer’s gravesite just ‘land for sale’.” Dallas Morning News, June 20, 1976, 33A.